Sunday, September 2, 2012

Out with the old. In with the new.

After a busy summer and TONS of fun, I am back to the world of blogging!  Although food has been a central part of the last few months, sadly eating out has become more of the norm.  As things slow down this fall, I am making a conscious effort to get back on track.  Historically, "getting back on track" meant starting a crazy diet and depriving myself of the things I love (ice cream, pasta, potatoes).  Although this strategy is temping, I have realized with age that this is never sustainable.  It is a quick fix to what is really a lifestyle problem.  Starting today, I am focusing on breaking old habits and starting new ones.  Here is my game plan...
  • Eat breakfast everyday.  I rearranged my kitchen so that my blender finally has a permanent home on the counter.  That way I can start my day off with a fruit smoothie without using the excuse that its too difficult to dig out the blender.
  • Pack a lunch.   No more are the fast food or cafeteria food that I have been consuming in my stressful work days.  No matter how stressed I am.  There really isn't a good reason that I can't pack my lunch at least 3/5 work days a week.
  • Cook dinner four nights per week.  I always over commit on this and then after the first week of having ten thousand pounds of left overs, I give up.  I realized if I can just target four nights then that leaves a night or two for leftovers and once a week takeout if need be (everyone needs a break). 
  • Workout.  It doesn't have to be an intense one hour crazy workout.  A simple 20 minute cardio is better than nothing.
  • Get up early.  I find it easy to fall into the rut when it comes to my sleep cycle.  Moe is on nights so I have been staying up late working just to crash into bed exhausted and struggle to get up with my alarm.  Since I want to make a smoothie every morning, I better get used to an earlier alarm clock to make it happen :)
Now that the plan is in place, wish me luck on the execution!

Miss J

No comments:

Post a Comment