Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Chicken Parmesean with Sundried Tomato and Pine Nut Marinara Sauce

The night before Moe has a huge test, I always ask him what he wants me to cook and what time he wants to eat.  He is generally sooo stressed out, I feel like since I can't help him study, its the least I can do!  Tomorrow he takes his Step 2 boards and requested we have his favorite meal, chicken Parmesan. I always ask Moe after we eat to rate the meal so I know if he likes it.  He almost always gives a 7, 8 or 9.  The other day I got mad because I never get a 10 rating!  I told him that I was convinced he thought I was a bad cook. Of course he then called me meladramtic, but also explained to me that he can't give out 10's all the time or they become meaningless.  I left the conversation annoyed.  However, last night I have regained my faith that I can in fact cook.  Upoon completion of the meal, Moe said it was "the perfect ten"!

Chicken Parmesean with Sundried Tomato and Pine Nut Marinara Sauce

Serves: 4

2 chicken breasts
1 jar of Classico Marinara (Basil and Tomato)
1/2 green bell pepper - chopped
1/4 onion - finely chopped
1/8 cup pine nuts
1 tablespoon of butter
fresh parsley
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
1 garlic clove - minced
1/2 cup bread crumbs
4 slices of Mozzarella Cheese
Dry Italian Seasoning (mixed herb)
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Slice chicken breasts in half long ways.  Crack egg into a bowl and beat.  Dip chicken breasts in egg and then coat evenly with bread crumbs.  Place in the bottom of a glass baking dish.  Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.  In the baking pan, put two scopes of Classico marinara sauce on top of chicken and then layer one piece of mozzarella cheese on top.  Sprinkle top of chicken with Italian seasoning.  Repeat so that all four pieces of chicken are in baking dish with marinara, cheese, and seasoning. 

Bake chicken for 30-45 minutes (depending on thickness of the chicken)  until inside temp reads 165 degrees or juices run clear.  While chicken is baking, heat olive oil in a large skillet and saute onions, green peppers, and garlic until tender.  While sauteing, dice up sun dried tomatoes.  Add pine nuts to skillet.  Once pine nuts are toasted, add sun dried tomatoes to the mix.  While sun dried tomatoes are heating up.  Dice up fresh parsley (1 -2 tablespoons) and add to mixture.  Pour 3/4 of the jar of Classico Marinara.  Add fresh cracked pepper.  Mix well.  Once sauce is hot and bubbly, transfer to low heat burner to keep warm.  When chicken has 15 minutes left, bring pot of water to a boil.  Add pasta (I used spaghetti, but any kind would work).  Cook pasta according to packaging directions. When chicken has 5-10 minute left, put another 1/2 piece of cheese on top of each chicken breasts. 

When chicken is done, plate pasta and top with sauce and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.  Serve with chicken. 

- Miss J

1 comment: